Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lost and Found: Wings to Go?

Philadelphia is known for many things: Rocky Balboa, Cheeseteaks, South Street...and wings? Yes. Wings. I'm not going to spend time on the infamous and trashy Wing Bowl that occurs every year at the Sports Complex in South Philly (how fitting, really), but instead on Hot Wings. Or more precisely, this plastic bowl of hot wings that someone left on The Inky's newsstand at 22nd & Arch. Interestingly enough, I smelled it before I saw it, so these were fairly fresh and recently left behind. Perhaps by a conscientious SEPTA passenger, though I personally surmise it was more forgetfulness than thoughtfulness which led me to my strange discovery.

Without question, I felt a picture was in order. Later, after contemplating just how often the staggering number and variety of chicken wings (and those remnants of what once were said chicken wings) which I stumble upon in Philly - i.e, on the bus, in the street, sometimes hanging out of the mouths of and being gnawed on by pedestrians, in the gutter, on sidewalks, being eaten by pigeons on sidewalks - in places that have been listed, yet are not limited to, I decided a short ode for entertainment's sake was in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment