Monday, August 10, 2009

Pony Rides...on Filbert Street


I may or may not have mentioned that I volunteer bimonthly for the Fair Food Farm Stand in the Reading Terminal Market, which is a project of the White Dog Cafe Foundation. Fair Food is "dedicated to bringing locally grown food into the Philadelphia marketplace and promoting a humane, sustainable agriculture for the Greater Philadelphia region." I work the 3-6pm shift and totally forgot about the Pennsylvania Dutch Festival, which was in full swing with donut making demonstrations, homemade ice cream, chicken pot pies, Amish buggy rides around the terminal, live bands singing and performing bluegrass, pony rides, and a petting zoo. I almost ran in the opposite direction, but I mustered what strands of crowd courage I could and pushed on (actually pushed) toward the stand to sling locally farmed (within 150 miles) fruits, veggies, eggs, meats, and cheeses. It wasn't nearly as painful as it looked it might be, and I left with a dozen homemade PA Dutch donuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment